Within delegated authority, the DDR Officer P-3 will be responsible for the following duties:
- Contributes to the substantive development and implementation of the DDR programme, including overall policy and legal framework, implementation strategy, operational modalities and action plans, taking into account national programme priorities and targets.
- Provides technical inputs to the planning, design and implementation of projects, as well as technical advice and assistance to key parties (e.g. DDR unit management, DDR Commissions, government representatives, etc.); consults with relevant stakeholders through inclusive and participatory processes; and undertakes continuous monitoring of project activities.
- Organizes and undertakes research and analysis on various aspects of DDR work, including risk and threat assessments, target group profiles, political factors, security and other issues affecting operations; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; identifies and tracks follow-up actions; produces progress and briefing reports.
- Supports the development and maintenance of appropriate mechanisms and systems for tracking, monitoring and evaluation of key components of DDR-related programmes; manages data collection and follow-up; identifies issues and prepares conclusions.
- Coordinates the mobilization of networks of local partners and communities (e.g. NGOs, community-based organizations, private sector enterprises and local communal authorities) and facilitates their participation in the planning and implementation of DDR programmes.
- Supports efforts in resource mobilization and development of strategic partnerships with multiple donors and agencies.
- In consultation with relevant parties, develops targeted training programmes for institutional capacity building.
- Participates in or leads field missions, including provision of guidance to government officials and other parties; drafts mission reports and prepares briefings for senior Mission leadership..
- Ensures that DDR activities are well integrated and coordinated with other mission activities (e.g. political, military, humanitarian; public information; legal, etc.)
- Prepares various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analysis, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, etc.
- Provides substantive support to consultative and other meetings (e.g. conferences, workshops) to include proposing agenda topics, preparation of documents and presentations.
- Supervises DDR field office personnel working on DDR activities including on performance management.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Professionalism: Knowledge and understanding of unit’s mandate and strategic direction. Knowledge of DDR and related issues, including approaches and techniques to address difficult problems. Proven expertise in country/region of assignment; sound understanding of and an ability to evaluate international political situations in that area. Ability to identify issues and judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve a wide range of problems. Ability to conduct research, including ability to evaluate and integrate information from a variety of sources and assess impact on the DDR activities in assigned country/area. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.