Under immediate supervision, an intern is responsible for a small applied research project related to the implementation of the SDGs in the subregion. The topic of the project will depend on the intern’s background, skills and interest.
Other duties include undertaking the following ad-hoc requests and regular responsibilities including:
(a) Regular Monitoring and collection of news, social media and policy trends related to SDGs for analysis and advocacy.
(b) Monitor and collect details on national policies on selected sustainable development issues of ESCAP-SSWA member States
(c) Collect data, generate figures and tables, describe and analyze the tables and results to support ESCAP-SSWA staff
(d) Attend conferences, seminars, meetings and other events and provide written highlights and briefing notes
(e) Provide administrative, organizational and conference management support for ESCAP-SSWA events
(f) Other activities upon request.
The United Nations Core Competencies include:
- Communication: Ability to draft clearly and concisely, good written and oral language skills.
- Teamwork: Good interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively with colleagues from different national and cultural backgrounds to achieve organizational goals.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be ‘clients’ and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view.
- Planning & Organizing: Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary
- Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments, and delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards
To qualify for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
a) be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); or
b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or
c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation.